Friday, February 6, 2009

Stats

The numbers are in:
Harrison weighs - 14.15 lbs = 25% (percentile)
length - 25 inches = 50%
head - 16.34 = 25%
So, I thought I had this huge baby that was going to be in the 50th percentile or above for weight and head. I guess because Lily has always been a petite girl, I'm not used to an average size baby. Going into the appointment today I thought they were going to tell me that he's really big. Lily weighed only 14 pounds on her 1st birthday so the fact that Harrison is 14 pounds at 4 months does seem really big to us, even though he's only in 25%. His pediatrician said I could start giving him 1 - 2 tablespoons of baby cereal for the next few weeks. Then when he's 5 months start giving him a full feeding. I like to wait a little longer, closer to 6 months before I give my kids food, just to give their little digestive system more time. Maybe in a few weeks I'll start giving him a couple of tablespoons of cereal. We'll see.

2 wonderful comments:

Pahua Fam said...

I didn't give Cameron cereal until she was 6 months old. I think every pediatrician has a different opinion. Cam's doctor also told me to only give her veggies in the beginning of the baby food stages because if they have fruit too early they develop a sweet tooth and will refuse the veggies and only eat the fruit. Well, now my child won't eat fruit period and only veggies. Silly! Every child is different. He also doesn't believe in the whole percentile thing either but the nurse at Cam's last appointment secretly told me that she was in the 70%. I love all the updates, Thanks for sharing! Sorry you and Tag didn't do so hot at the olympics. lol!

Jessica said...

That's funny. I feel the same way about Tessa, she seems like a giant compared to the size Sophie was at her age. And the contrast isn't NEAR as stark as with Lily and Harrison. I can't believe he's as big now as she was a 1 year old! That's just crazy.
We did cereal with Sophie at 4 months, I think it's more for fun and for practice than actual nutrition. I don't think she was able to figure out the tongue thrust until we had been trying to feed her cereal for at least a few weeks. Have fun!!