So, this is a long one. I apologize. Am I breaking some sort of blogging etiquette by writing too much? I feel like I am already crossing the line by writing in "Tracy’s blog." I hope I don't scare off the faithful followers. Anyway, if you are here for cute pictures of Lily with short descriptions, scroll down a bit. If you are interested in what has been on Tag’s mind lately, feel free to read on.
The other night when Tracy was at a book club, I was at home entertaining Lily. Oodles of fun. After an evening filled with crawling around the house posing as an assortment of animals and eating several pieces of food from Lily’s “kitchen” that definitely weren’t FDA approved, it was time for bed. Lily is pretty good at getting herself dressed so I sent her upstairs to get ready. Moments later she came back firmly stating that she wasn’t going to go at it alone. Her excuse: It was dark upstairs, and yes, we are at the age of monsters in the closet. My solution: Just turn on the lights on her way up (simple enough, right?). Apparently, this wasn’t the answer she was looking for, because she started crying. I tried to plead my case to her, but to no avail. I guess Dad’s word that there aren’t any monsters upstairs is no good. I got up and started explaining to her what she needed do. We got to the hallway, and I showed her the first light. She turned it on and ran excitedly to the base of the stairs. I pointed to the next switch and she turned it on as well. Figuring out what I was talking about, she ran upstairs confidently (with me trailing closely behind her). She got to the top, turned on the hall light, sprinted to her room and flicked the switch. She turned around and gave me the sweetest look. The look that melts Dad’s heart. At that point, I would’ve bought her a car if she asked me. It was if she just won her first race. We high-fived and I headed downstairs asking her to turn off all the lights when she if finished.
It took me a little bit to really draw some important conclusions from this seemingly innocent interchange. I realized that what I really wanted Lily to do is to do it herself. I am a pretty independent person and I thrive on self-sufficiency. Naturally, I want my daughter to do the same. However, there is a catch. I can’t expect Lily to suddenly come up with solutions herself so early on in her life. You have to ease into it. After only one time, Lily now can go upstairs at night without problem. This is a big step. Eventually, she will get to the point where she is coming up with innovative solutions on her own to life’s problems. I think this is what the purpose of being a parent is all about. It’s our job to give Lily what she needs and teach her what she needs to know, but ultimately we want her to fall so she can learn to pick herself up.
As I started thinking more on this, I decided that this is a societal problem too. It seems that too often parents are giving kids everything they don’t need and not enough of what they do need. There are close to 2500 clients from my facility that help illustrate this problem. Here’s one example. Last week I had a client come into the facility to attend a drug treatment class. However, he didn’t have a picture ID with him to check in. This is a facility rule, but he didn’t get it. Now for the record, I recognized this guy and knew his name, and could have easily let him attend his class. I didn’t. He was extremely upset with me and said that I was holding him back from being successful in the program. He spouted off a slur of curse words and headed out the door. I followed him and sparked a discussion while he waited for the elevator. He explained to me that his ID was stolen a few days earlier and didn’t know what to do. This man was 35 years old. It turns out that rather than looking for a solution, he decided to show up knowing full well that our facility requires a picture ID. It occurred to me that maybe he didn’t have the ability to find a solution. After all, this is very characteristic of a criminal. Rather than turning to socially acceptable ways of dealing with stress, they turn to drugs or alcohol. When criminals are short on money, they rob a convenient store or break into a house, rather than looking for a job or a higher paying job. They resort to anger and violence without the foresight of the consequences. Now for the record, I think that we all have hints of criminal mindedness that sprout up every once in a while, but for the most part, we know how to find acceptable ways of playing the cards that life decides to deal us. Anyway, I explained to this client that rather than cursing and blaming other people for his problems, it would have been worth his while to get a mugshot from his probation officer, or a temporary ID from the DMV. He thanked me, shook my hand, and headed off to the probation office.
I’m not quite sure where I wanted to go with this, but it came about with all this talk about an economic bailout package the last few days. I’m not sure what the answer is. I don’t understand much about the federal reserve or how banks fit into the picture. I know that there is a lot of talk of a failing economy and I don’t know who has the answer. I know that we pay way too much for gas and are getting if from the wrong places, and I’m not too excited about our house depreciating. I do know that if I were to hand out $1,000 to each of my clients to “stimulate” their personal economic situation, it would probably be gone in a matter of days with little or nothing to show for it. AND, they would still struggle to pay their rent next month. This is sad. Even sadder is the fact that most of them were never taught the simple things in life like balancing a checkbook, or how to interview for a job (or how to go upstairs without being attacked by monsters). This is a problem not solely on the shoulders of the government or our schools. It is a problem in our homes. I am fully convinced that ALL problems can and should be solved within our homes. So, HOW do we fix this? I don’t know. Should the government step in and provide health care? I don’t know. Should we all pay higher taxes to dissolve some of the disparity between the lower and upper classes? Not sure. I think I will fall back on the old fish adage.
“Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to teach others to fish; feed a community for a lifetime.”

8 wonderful comments:
Hey Tag, reading this post of yours I thought it was ironic. I just finished reading a parenting book called "love and logic." One of the premises of this book is that we need to teach our children responsibility and give them the ability to think for themselves. This needs to be done while the children are young and the "price tags" for their actions are small. they talk all about how it's better to let your kid suffer a consequence that wont have life altering ramifications, rather than wait until their decisions WILL be life altering, like with drugs and other things. Anyway, I just found that your post applied to the current train of thinking we've been trying to establish in our home. We are tired of the misbehavior and tired of being upset all the time. Now, we try to be laid back and let the kids take a logical consequence for their actions. Like last night, Audrey kept getting out of bed, then she locked herself in the bathroom for 20 minutes. We decided that since she was "taking away our special time together" that when she finally came out she would "have to lose something special to her, for the same amount of time." So we took her blanket away for 20 minutes. It's better for her to learn that she can't always have it her own way, and that when it's bedtime it's bedtime. Although, usually she's the one we have no bedtime issues with. Go figure. Anyway, sorry about the long comment!
I am a huge fan of Love and Logic too! I think Tag makes an excellent point that we need to teach our children to be responsible. I have found that Love and Logic has so many great ideas to help make that happen. I especially love the old fish adage that Tag added at the end. Very true!
Dan and I were talking about this today because he had to go to the DMV to get a CO driver's license. We were trying to figure out why places like that are 95% full of minorities and lower-class individuals since all the upper/middle class has to drive too. We're not sure really, but it seems the most logical reason is a lack of education or resources in order to take care of these things online or through the mail or whatever. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you! I think it is unfortunate that many people don't know how to handle situations so they act rashly and sometime illegally BUT we still can't accept it. What would we be "teaching" them by giving them a free card because they didn't know? I think that would just teach them to do it again.
I look at the bail out the same way, these companies made poor decisions and loaned money to people they shouldn't have. It is their fault they are in this situation. BUT if the government doesn't help them out it will hurt many more people than just the banks. I am torn, I think people should suffer the consequences for their actions but all too often someone's poor choices hurt others more than themselves.
Sorry for the long comment, I am terrible at making my point concisely! :)
Hey Tracy, this is in response to the comment you left on MY blog. I really love the Love and Logic series. I REALLY wish I OWNED the Love and Logic in the Early Years book. That's what got me started on this whole thing. I checked it out of the library one day while looking for some new parenting ideas. I loved how the whole book applied to love and logic right NOW for me, not in the school years and up. I have to say, that love and logic has been proving useful with Marissa's bedtime battles. If you have any favorites in the series I should check out, let me know!!!
I didn't know you could do all that DMV stuff on-line. Believe me I've "paid my dues" at many DMV's and felt like I needed a few credits in a sociology course after I sat observing humankind for the better part of several afternoons in New Jersey! On-line???? Bring that on! As for Love and Logic, yes. I was never too long on carefully thought out parenting knowledge although I read many books. The secret seems to lie in the allowing your emotions to overrule what is best for the child in the long run. Have fun with your kids, read them a ton or more of books, love them, and at least do no harm! And isn't Taggart a smashing writer??????
oops. NOT allowing your emotions to overrule
Very inspiring and true, Taggart. I couldn't agree with you more. I keep thinking about the economy and wonder what will come of it? I think it's such a strong sign of the last days. America has been wanting a quick fix for too long without taking responsibility for this lifestyle. I think also it's the difference between how the world views things versus the Lord. Heavenly Father blesses us with trials to learn and grow. As parents, we want our children to not necessarily fall on their faces, but we want them to struggle some so that they can grow. The world would take away all of these things (aka Satan) so that we don't ever grow. Lots of things to think about. We've seen many interesting things that way since the hurricanes have hit so close to home. I guess it's extremely important that we deeply plant our roots in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Very profound Tag! You should post more often. If it were tracy's blog it would be called "tracy's blog" ;) It's always nice to hear lessons that parents have learned so that I too may learn them! i wish christian would take more interest in the blog but the only part he has in it is giving people the address!! He leaves it up to me because apparently he has no interest in posting anything. i really need to get ahold of that book. Delia is in her terrible 1's LOL ;)
Post a Comment