Lily has definitely developed fear. Lately she has been talking a lot about scary monsters. She wakes up scared and even during the day she gets scared. I want to teach her to stand up to her fears, but is that too much for a 2 year old to handle? Today she came running to me crying that there was a scary monster in the other room. I grabbed her hand and asked her to show me and when we got into the room of course there was nothing there and she just looked up at me still scared. It made me think of that movie, The Sixth Sense. Maybe she really does see scary monsters! Now seriously, if any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this I would love to hear them. I have tried talking to her about the scary monsters, I have showed her that there isn't anything to be scared of. I even tried telling her to say, "Go away silly monster, I'm not scared of you." She thought it was funny, but then again tonight after she went to bed she came running downstairs upset about scary monsters for the second time today. After we searched her room and we told her that there isn't such things as scary monsters she was fine and fell right asleep. However this has been dragging on for weeks. Is this just a phase? For those of you who have gone before me, do you have any creative ideas that helped your kids to not be scared. She watches the Disney channel and Sesame Street so I really don't think it's coming from anything she watches. Today I almost told her, but held back, "You tell that monster that if he doesn't leave you alone your mom is going to beat the crap out of him!" Obviously not the best thing to teach a 2 year old, but it has almost come to that. I always love the advice that I get from those of you who are so creative and have already been through things like this. What do you think?
6 months ago

12 wonderful comments:
Hi!! Well, I haven't gotten to that phase with Noah yet so make sure to take notes and save them for me. Good luck.
I would LOVE to see you guys when you're in town. My phone number is 949-463-8723. Let's make a plan :)
Tracy, my love, two things worked for Audrey. #1 Monster Spray. Our monster spray is a can of febreeze that she sprays in her room at night that keeps monsters away. It smells nice and monsters hate it. They can't come into her room after monster spray because it will kill them. Make up your own reason why they can't come in after you spray it. It gives her an ACTION that she physically does and in her mind it works, just like bug spray keeps bugs away and kills them. You can use whatever for the spray. Buy air sanitizer or simply put some vanilla, or whatever extract in some water in a spray bottle and Voila!! Monster Spray!
#2 Watching Monsters Inc. It helped because in the end the monsters wanted to make kids laugh and not scream. We ask her "Do monsters want to scare you or make you laugh?" when she gets scared. She'll reply "laugh" and be fine.
Great Ideas Shelly, thanks! I just recently heard about Monster spray and I will definitely try it.
When Carter was Lily age and got scared (or sad) I would hug him and tell "it's okay, Mama's got you". It seemed to help. He now says it to me if he sees I am a bit sad. I hope this helps. I understand your feelings. I pray that she understand that she is safe and that her mama is there for her (and willing to kick some monsters butt!)
No suggestions, but on a positive note it sounds like Lily has a fantastic imagination! That's a good sign of high intelligence, and will later aide her in creative thinking. That's what I think, anyway.
Mia had the same issue. We did the monster spray (febreeze), and it may sound really silly, but I cut out a picture of a heart, or a butterfly( whatever she thought was pretty) I put it under her pillow at night and told her they would keep the monsters away. Both worked like a charm. She of course has since outgrown the being scared of monsters phase as will Lily. Good luck!
I have also heard of monster spray. I think the one I heard of was just a water spray bottle, but Febreeze would work great because then you could go to the store together and actually purchase it. It may seem more 'real' to her that way. Anyway, good luck...I'm sure it won't last long!
Great suggestions! I am excited to try the Monster Spray. I think she will do really well with that because it gives her a little bit of control over the situation. Thanks!!!!
I'm glad you posted this to help give me ideas on how to help Delia when she gets there. This sound perfectly normal. I know my mom said that I was the same wya for a few weeks and slowly grew out of it. Those ideas sound great!! Especially the Monsters inc. such a cute show! let us know how things go.
I will have to take notes about Monster Spray. Love that!
Hi, Slow Grandma here. But I did ask around. Yes, on the Monster Spray. Tell her that the monsters are allergic (I'm sure she knows that big adult word!) to kitties! And when you get this all figured out, I need mouse remedies!
Poor Lil'! I wish I were there to give her a big Aunt Shelly hug. Hang in there. And get the extra strength monster spray to get even the most rare of monsters!
Post a Comment