We lost our cat, Katie, today (10/16/10). It has been very hard for me. This is why I shouldn't have pets. They become a member of the family and I grow so attached. Katie was 6 years old and we got her when she was about 6 weeks old. Today we found her dragging her legs and crying out in pain. I rushed her to the hospital, where they told me that she had a massive blood clot that was keeping the blood from going to both her legs. She would never walk again. Any kind of surgery and treatment would cost around $3,000. The doctor suggested that we put her to sleep and that is what I felt was best as well. I had the kids with me and we could hear Katie crying from the back room - it was horrible. Lily wanted to say goodbye with me, so we went back and all said our goodbyes. Lily and I were bawling and Harrison didn't really know what to think.
I know it probably sounds pretty silly getting so emotional over a cat, but like I said she was a member of the family. How many cats do you know that play fetch? Her favorite game of fetch was usually with a q-tip. She would sleep at the end of our bed almost every night. I'm going to miss that. Even though I would yell at her multiple times a day to stay off the counter, I truly loved this cat. I couldn't ever fall asleep at night until she was inside. If I couldn't find her, I would get up several times a night and go to the front door to see if she was there.
Lily has been asking me tons of questions today. Here are some of the really cute conversations we've had throughout the day.
Lily: Where do cats go when they die?
Me: They go to Heaven and it's a really great place.
Lily: Mary and Martha will take care of Katie in Heaven (Mary and Martha are Lily's two favorite women from the Bible)
Lily: Where will Katie sleep in Heaven?
Me: I'm sure Katie will have a great place to sleep.
Lily: I think Mary and Martha really wanted to have a kitty.
Lily: Mom, when we want to go visit Katie are we going to have to drive and drive and drive for really long time to get to Heaven?
Lily: Mom, I want to send Katie a letter. Jesus can give the letter to Mary and Martha and they can give it to Katie.
These are just a few of the sweet things Lily said today. We sure are going to miss our great cat. We love you Katie!
6 months ago

10 wonderful comments:
SO SORRY! Losing a pet is so hard. I'm not much of an "animal lover," but I usually have a pet fish. I know it's not totally the same, but still. Noah never understands why I crying over the toilet as we have the funeral. I can't help it. Pets, even fish, get our unconditional love.
xo - Ali
So sorry to hear about Katie. I call our cats furry children so I totally get what you are feeling. I was a mess for weeks after we lost our cat BJ suddenly to cancer.
Oh my goodness, I knew and loved Katie too! What a sad thing. Poor sweet Lily. Dave's father just put Silver, their cat of like 16 years, to sleep because they moved and Silver would have never made the move. Silver was Dave's best friend growing up. He would catch mice and eat all the big insects in the shower when Dave yelled him name. Cats are great companions and they are missed. Just gotta get another, maybe.
Lily is so sweet. I remember when we had to put my cat Wally to sleep when I was younger because he had feline leukemia. I was absolutely heart broken. I don't blame you for getting emotional! I only met Katie once but I know a stellar cat when I see one. I'm so sorry!
Sorry to hear about your cat. I know how hard it is to put an animal that has become so apart of the family. The lord will comfort you I know for sure.
Oh, I'm so sad too. I just read this. How's Ben doing with it? That is the weirdest malady I've ever heard of. I'm so sad with you... Katie's in Cat Heaven which is just down the road from Dog Heaven. She's been wanting to go there for so long because her mother and father are there waiting and she's heard they have canned cat food dispenser on every corner. Oh, and a petting machine. And a whole field of catnip!
Oh, I'm so sorry. Its no fun losing a pet, especially if they are/were in pain. My dad took our cat and put him to sleep (Goose was really old) but didn't tell any of us for a couple days. I was SO sad and mad, but then I realized it was probably better than to be in pain.
And although its sad, it was/is a great teaching opportunity to talk about life/death and heaven with Lily, which you have already done!
I'm so sorry Tracy. I really feel for you. I remember when my dogs got hit by the car how sad I felt. I hope you feel better. Lilly is such a sweet girl. I love her sweet spirit.
That is so sad Tracy. I don't even want to think about the day our dog gets old. Pets can be such an important part of a family. I am so sorry.
Hi Tracy,
I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved Katie. I may have even known her if you had her in Logan. What a wonderful learning experience for Lily--and faith building, too.
I don't know if you know that I have changed to a different blog. Long story, but our new url is nancyandbradyn.blogspot.com Miss you! Wish we could see more of each other.
Post a Comment