Friday, January 8, 2010

Once A Year

Once a year I start getting that itch to color my hair or do something different and drastic with it. My friend, Mary Lynn, owns a great little salon just across town - Yale Station Spa & Salon. I'm pretty low maintance when it comes to nails, hair, and all that stuff. The last time I got my nails done was over a year ago and I usually only get my hair cut once maybe twice a year. Every time I see Mary Lynn, I always wonder why I don't go in more often. It's so fun to see her and catch up. Lily took this picture of me when we got home.  Don't look too close.  This pregnancy has done a number on my skin.  Maybe that should be the first thing I attempt to master on Photoshop - blemish touch ups!  It's been getting better, so I really shouldn't complain.




How to make a bow holder - see post below.
I got the idea from one I had as a kid.  It was the face of a little girl and she had long braids that we hung the bows from. A little creepy.
You can buy the board for less than $3 at Micheals or JoAnns.  They have many different shapes and sizes.
Then I picked out ribbon.  Lily's room is pink, green and a little bit of purple.
Ribbon is 7/8" - which I think is the perfect size.  Anything smaller might not hold up the bows.
Paint your board.  I have paints at home so I didn't have to buy any.  You can look up cool fonts on your computer to copy when you paint your child's name on the board.
While the paint is drying you can measure out your ribbon.  I nailed them to the board, but make sure you use short nails.  You can try hot glue, but I wanted something really secure.
I made little bows to hot glue to each end of the ribbon.  Tag is going to drill a small hole in the back for me so I can hang it on the wall.  If you don't want to do that you can try attaching a ribbon across the top to hang it.  I don't know how good hot glue would hold up, but if you try it let me know how it turns out.  I thought about painting flowers on it or adding embellishments, but with all of the bows hanging, I though it might be a little over kill.  I like to keep things simple, but I bet there are many things you could do to dress it up.

4 wonderful comments:

Season said...

CUTE hair! How fun to go get your hair done. I'm so like you in the hair maintenance area. I usually do next to nothing with my hair and visit the inside of a hair salon about once a year—only when I can no longer handle my bird's nest. It always feels so good to do something new.

Pahua Fam said...

I get the itch to do something to my hair all the time but I never do it. It might be because I am tempted to cut my hair completely off and dye it pink. My friend suggested that I wait until Cameron is in school so that she will be known as the kid who has the Mom with the cool pink hair. lol! OR, the kid with the freaky Mom that the kids make fun of, it could really go either way. haha! My last haircut was done by my friend in her bathroom, I wear my hair up 363 days a year so I still don't know if she cut it straight. ;o) Sad but true. Bravo to you for getting your hair done!

Jessica said...

Yea! SO glad you were able to get your hair done after all, I was worried for your when you didn't have a babysitter yet 10 min before. It turned out great! I want to get my hair dyed too, my sister actually found a grey hair on my head last night! Yikes.
thanks for the instructions.

Dannenbergs said...

It's been a while since I've checked your blog. I loved the video of Harrison watching the tv while you were trying to get him to talk.
I can't believe that you and your mom got each other the same gift and neither of you liked it on. Too funny.
I got a new phone. Same number.