Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tornado

A tornado went through our city today as most of you may have seen on the news. We are fine. It happened while we were at church. We heard the tornado sirens go off. Almost everyone went to the gym. I went outside to get a better look. I had never seen a tornado before. It was pretty cool. We also experienced a pretty intense hail storm. The hail was as big if not bigger than a golf ball. Our car took a pretty good beating. Tag took a picture of the funnel cloud on his phone. It was kind of neat being so close to a tornado. I'm sure if we were any closer though I would have been more nervous. It tore through an outdoor mall just a mile from us. That is where most of the damage happened. Anyway, I just thought I would give an update for any family or friends that might be watching the news. We were close, but not close enough for any real damage. Oh . . . except for our car. Does insurance cover hail the size of golf balls leaving huge dents all over?? I guess we will find out. Some of these photos are from Tag's phone and some I got from other people. The first one was taken about 5 1/2 miles from the tornado. The last two are when the tornado was passing right by our church.





12 wonderful comments:

BradandMelanie said...

Crazy! I guess the extreme weather is hitting many part of the country these days ~ I'm glad that you guys weren't any closer!

Season said...

Oh my—that's crazy! I was born in Nebraska—we'd get tornados every now and again. As a result, I still get nervous when I hear sirens like that. Glad you guys were safe! That stinks about your car though!!

Ali Richardson said...

YIKES!!!!!!

Meredith said...

Wow. Thanks for posting pictures. Tornadoes fascinate me...from a distance!

Jessica said...

scary! glad you are all o.k.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlise said...

That was pretty crazy. When we got out of church, we found that our windshield had been cracked from the hail. :( We were wondering the same thing, about insurance. Bummer.

Katie said...

I have to say that's pretty cool. We never had one so close that whole time we lived in Denver, 14 years! Steve's mom told him about it yesterdy. It's just that time of year there. Every June.

Shelly said...

Holy canoly!! That was close. Glad you are safe. Those hail balls are insane!!!

Kelly said...

HOLY Tornado Batman! That is SO CRAZY! I think I will take earthquakes over a tornado any day! Glad to see you guys came out of it okay and unharmed! Maybe you need to come back to Cali...FOREVER! We miss you:) LOVES!!!!!

Catherine said...

I know I mentioned the other day that I wanted to copy your photos to put on my blog and I just did, hopefully that is still okay. You guys got really good pictures, we didn't get a single one.
By the way, how was your speaking to the youth? I can't wait to hear about it.

Crafty Momma said...

that is crazy!! Glad you guys are okay! We just got back from Mississippi and we were caught in a Tornado too, luckily it was a couple of miles away, but the scary thing was that we were outside under a pavillion and had to stay in the middle and just hope and pray it wouldn't hit us. there was no reason to run to the car and try to drive away in it...scary stuff! Everyone was soaked from head to toe! I hated having Delia in it too.