Friday, August 17, 2007

Tracy's Book List

Here are 3 books I have recently read that I highly recommend.
#1 - Leadership and Self-Deception, Getting out of the Box By The Arbinger Institute
This book is a must read! It helps you change how you see and treat other people. Very inspiring! Also great for marriages/relationships too!
#2 - Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood - Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years By Jim Fay & Charles Fay Ph.D.
If you have children you need to read this book! It makes parenting so much easier and a lot less stressful. I have heard some people comment on love and logic before who haven't done their own research about it, at least enough to know what it's really about. I highly recommend it! My early childhood education program at USU was based around many of Love and logic techniques. Universities all over the country are teaching these methods. Love and Logic teaches parents how to raise responsible kids. I love it because it has helped me to not be such a control freak and give some of the decision making to Lily. She is such a well-behaved kid and I feel it is in large part because I read love and logic and apply the techniques in our home. Don't get me wrong though, Lily still has her moments :) I'm just getting better at dealing with them.
#3 - The Read ~ Aloud Handbook By Jim Trelease
This book makes you want to drop everything you are doing, go to the bookshelf, grab a book and read to your child! This book is incredible! If you are a mom who turns on the TV as soon as your kids wake up and realize it's 11am before you've sat down and actually done anything interactive with your kids or if your kid spends most of the day playing alone because you are so busy doing all the endless tasks, I highly encourage you to read this book. For anyone else who just wants to have smart kids, READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!! It is a book for every kind of parent. The benefits of reading to your children when they are young are PRICELESS. This book is a must read! I feel like it has made me a better parent. I have always known that it is important to read to your kids, but I had no clue the kind of long term affects it could have on their IQ, love for learning and reading! I read to Lily so much more now instead of just a couple of books at bed time.

All of these books are pretty quick and easy to read. I love reading books that make me want to be a better person or help me with my parenting skills. Please pass along any of your book recommendations.

2 wonderful comments:

Jessica said...

I have placed holds on two of the books at our library. To be honest, I am scared to read them. They may totally put me in my place! Oh, well. I guess that is the point. They don't have the Leadership and Self-Deception one though...is it worth searching more for? Thank you for the recommendations. I will pass any along that I come up with...besides Cinderella's Ball and Pajama Party. Those are Kate's favorites that we read everyday. :)

Tracy Giles said...

I am posting a comment on my own blog. These books totally put me in my place! I am so glad you are going to read them!